Saturday 28 September 2013

Post-Drinking Remedies


While we all look forward to that night out, the same cannot be said for the following morning. Grogginess, starvation, sloppiness... although we cannot avoid these annoying sensations, I find the following remedies to help in curing a hangover.
 
1. Skin hydration
Despite having cleansed my face and applied serum upon arriving home, my skin was still begging for some a hydration boost this morning. My post-drinking skincare morning routine resembles that of the evening. After cleansing, I applied a thin layer of the Michael Todd Avocado Mango Extreme Hydration Mask and left it on for 15 minutes. My skin literally drank it up, and it felt so quenched after removing the remaining of the product with a muslin cloth. I then followed with Institut Esthederm Intensive Propolis Serum, which I received as a sample with a premium purchase from BeautyBay. I usually save this serum for days like these when my skin needs that extra boost, as I find that the propolis cleanses and deeply purifies my skin. The serum itself is very watery, hence the advice to apply it with a cotton pad. However, I use my palms to tap it gently onto my face until it sinks in, as I find that the cotton pad absorbs most of the product.

2. Water
Apart from using products, I make sure to drink water by the buckets. Dehydration from alcohol not only gives you tight and lackluster skin, but also a dry mouth, increased thirst and apathy. I sometimes like to add a slice of lemon or lime to my water as it helps to sooth my upset stomach. Anything that helps to avoid these uncomfortable sensations goes right down on my list.

3. Food
Everyone whom I spoken to about this said the same thing - after a night of drinking, the body seems to be dissatisfied with every consumption, except for junk food. This is because we crave energy-dense, fatty foods, and due to a brain chemical, galanin.

Right now I'm craving a Big Tasty, but considering my lethargy at the thought of driving to McDonalds and the absence of burgers in the freezer, I had to 'please' my stomach with this. Yes emphasis on the apostrophes, because I could still devour a Big Tasty after eating this sandwich.

Brown bread with edam cheese, tomatoes, rucola, cheeselets and basil

Despite these cravings, the best foods to cure hangovers are fruit to replace the vitamins lost, and, according to what I read somewhere, toast. Bananas are known to replace the body's lost potassium.

4. Shower
I don't know if this is a mental thing, but I immediately feel the hangover starting to wear off upon showering. Taking a shower helps to improve the circulation and opening up the pores, while being associated with relaxation. It's something I always do as soon as I wake up.

5. Paracetamol
Although I didn't take any paracetamol today, I sometimes could not resist not doing so due to a throbbing headache. Avoid taking any medication right after drinking though, as there is a high chance that it will adversely react with the alcohol in your system. If you are opposed to taking medication, massaging Tiger Balm onto your temples is a good substitute, while being completely natural.

6. Sleep 
... the best remedy to cure yourself of a hangover and make time go by faster. Sleeping can help you to avoid taking any medication, while getting rid of that groggy feeling.

Do you have any more tips on how to treat a hangover? Let me know in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. Great tips!!
    What about following each other with gfc, bloglovin and facebook?
    Kisses
    Francy&Stef
    Chic With The Least
    Also on Facebook and on Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete