Thursday 12 September 2013

Are facials REALLY beneficial for your skin?

Before I start writing this post, I just want to say that by no means am I saying that this happens at all salons, or that it is going to happen to you next time you have a facial. The images below are not mine - they were obtained from the Singaporean blogger's, Juli, personal website, which I will link below.

Juli's pre-facial picture [scroll down]
                              
Back in the day when I used to have facials, I always wondered how my skin benefitted from all the extraction. My spots just didn't seem to heal. Not to mention the redness that swamped my face minutes after exiting the salon. It was when I realised that I had sensitive skin, and that the facials where in no way contributing to my spots, that I stopped making appointments for such treatments.

As I was reading through some blogs a few weeks ago, I came across this post on BunBunMakeupTips. Not only was I horrified, but I also felt sorry for the woman.

Juli's post-facial picture
She only went to get a sponsored facial after all. It seems that Juli's skin adversely reacted to the products used during the treatment. Having battled highly reactive, sensitive skin about five years ago, I know how daunting it can be. It is all about finding a dermatologist whom you can trust (because you find doctors who misdiagnose). And it's okay to get a second opinion if you're still unsure. By time, you build your own skincare regime and learn which products suit your skin.

If you have highly reactive, acne-prone, or just sensitive skin:
  1. Seek a dermatologist's advice. If s/he prescribes you medicated facial/skin products, STICK TO THEM.
  2. Steer away from fancy products which you buy just for the sake of their brand name.
  3. Check the ingredients. Yes, this can be a humdrum, but it's good to know what constitutes the products you are slapping on your face.
  4. Holding on with the ingredients' note, avoid brands containing parabens (I'm planning an entire paraben-related post).
  5. Explore organic brands, which are known for their natural ingredients. I did an entire post regarding one of these brands a while ago.
  6. Know your skin type! 
  7. Don't be tempted by offers or samples. If they're not quite right for you, pass them on to someone else.
If you do treat yourself to a facial and find that it works in your favour, please carry on. There are some highly trustworthy beauty therapists out there.

You should know that facial conditions do clear up, if not exceptionally severe. I'm just not so sure whether it's through the extraction track.

2 comments:

  1. This is so useful, I have highly reactive skin and I break out to pretty much most things. Looking forward to your post on Parabens! :) xx

    adaliascloset.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding certain products can be difficult... I'm always a bit apprehensive when I'm about to try new brands!
      Will put up the Parabens post soon :)

      xx

      Delete