Tuesday 17 September 2013

How I Wash my Clip-In Hair Extensions


Back in August 2012 I trimmed my hair into an almost pixie style, as it was already short back then. The following day I decided I wanted to let it grow. How this crossed my mind, I do not know. 

Then in March this year I purchased my clip-in extensions from HeadKandy, based on my hairdresser's recommendation. I had my hair dyed brown, along with half of the extensions. And I say 'half' because I wanted ombre' hair. 

Yesterday, I went through the processes of washing them. With clip-ins you are supposed to wait six weeks between every wash, otherwise you'll have hairs coming out of the wefts, after which they'll be ruined.

Redken Full Body Shampoo, Davines NouNou Conditioner, Kerastase Soleil Mask, Davines Sun Oil, Michel Mercier Brush

Before I put them under any running water, I brush each weft with my Michel Mercier brush. This brush is one of my holy grails - it makes my tangle teezer look crummy. I bought the blue one, because blue is my favourite colour specifically for thick hair. Michel Mercier brushes are colour-coded; blue for thick hair, green for normal hair and pink for fine hair. It has 428 bristles of differing heights and widths, which have no chance of bending. Unlike my tangle teezer, whose bristles started bending after brushing through my extensions, making me suspect it's designed for fine hair.

Then I shampooed each and every weft with my Redken Body Full shampoo. I initially bought this for my fine hair to prevent it from becoming flat. I find it works well with my extensions, giving them that bit of an 'oomph'. The only problem I have with this shampoo is that it contains SLS, but I still need to do proper research regarding sulfates in haircare.

This was followed by conditioner. I use Davines NouNou Conditioner* with tomato extract, specifically for colour-treated hair. It prevents hair from looking lackluster, while giving it that soft feel to it. On the tin it says to leave the product for 5-10 minutes before rinsing, however I rinse the extensions immediately as I follow with a mask.

As a mask I use the Kerastase Soleil Masque UV Defense Active*. I found this especially good throughout summer, due to being targeted at sun-exposed hair, as well coloured and damaged hair. I prefer using something rich for my extensions, as they do have a tendency to get dry. Since it is a rinse-off treatment, I need something to last around for approximately six weeks.  I do leave this on for 10 minutes before rinsing, and I also spray the wefts with a bit of Davines Protective Moisturizing Sun Oil*. I do not like using this on my actual hair as I find it leaves it quite greasy, however I find that it works well with my extensions. It is infused with argan oil, therefore it is an adequate rinse-off treatment. 

Redken Extreme Anti-Snap Treatment, Lee Stafford Poker Straight Serum, Biosilk Silk Therapy Treatment

After around 10 minutes, I rinse all the wefts properly, making sure not to leave any traces of products. Placing them on a towel to dry, I apply a bit of Redken Extreme Anti-Snap Treatment. This is a leave-in type of treatment formulated for distressed hair, while offering heat protection and safeguarding against split ends and breakage. It is interlocked with protein and ceramide, 2 components required for healthy-looking hair. Smell-wise, I find it almost smells a bit almond-y. Very pleasant. 
At the ends, I also apply a bit of Lee Stafford Poker Straight Shine Serum to lock in some moisture. The only hitch in this product is the smell. I find that Lee Stafford products all have a weird smell, which is quite difficult to describe. It is something I wouldn't repurchase once I'm through with it.

Then I leave them to dry overnight. I try to avoid exposing them to heat as much as possible to prevent any breakage. In the morning I only have to 'blow-dry' them from a distance (without using any brushes), only to get rid of that dampness. Then I use my GHD Limited Edition hair straighteners. (I could not find the link to these specific ones anywhere, but I purchased them around two years ago from Asos - picture below). I am aware that applying direct heat to the extensions is destructive, but I only do so after washing. 

Pink Limited Edtion GHDs, for Breast Cancer Awareness

To finish off, I apply a bit more of the Redken Anti-Snap Treatment, followed by the BioSilk Silk Therapy Treatment. You only need the tiniest amount of this product and it works wonders, leaving you with savory-smelling hair.

The finishing result



* Purchased from the lovely Joe Briffa, at Hairoscope




2 comments:

  1. so much work!! but all worth it

    www.mkstyleramblings.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! :/ But they look and feel so much better afterwards :) x

      Delete