Tuesday 24 September 2013

Back 2 School: Breakfast Ideas

Let's face it - no one likes getting up early in the morning to prepare breakfast. But personally, I feel dangerously famished upon waking up, I could eat a scabby donkey between six bread vans. Also, breakfast is one of the most important meals, as it affects your performance throughout the rest of the day.

Everything aside, these are some quick, easy breakfast ideas you could make yourself before school or work.

Porridge


The traditional breakfast, if I could say so myself. I remember my dad telling me how they used to have porridge everyday for breakfast back in Swindon. Only he didn't make any effort to not make it sound like vomit. Instead of leaving mine plain Jane,  I spice it up a bit. You'll need:


3 tablespoons oat bran
Water
Cinnamon
Milk (I use almond)
Grapes (or any other fruit)
Holland & Barret Breakfast Sprinkle (mix of dried fruit and seeds) [It's not in the picture due to the unsightly state of the packaging... the result of me hurrying to have breakfast]

What I do is add the oats to a pan, along with water and cinnamon. I didn't include any exact measurements to these because I just calculate how much water to add (enough for the oats to not dry up), and with cinnamon... well I go a bit overboard. I just love the taste of cinnamon in everything, and it's good for your metabolism anyway.

While it's cooking, I remove the seeds from the grapes. Then after about 3 minutes, I pour the cooked porridge onto the grapes. If like me, you're always in a hurry, add some milk so it cools a bit. Then I sprinkle some breakfast sprinkle on top, and you're good to go! Or eat.

Banana Panckaes


For the pancakes:
1 banana
2 eggs

That's all yes. I found this recipe from Blogilates. I usually add cinnamon to mine for that extra bit of flavour.

For the topping:
Fruit (here I sliced a pear)
Holland & Barret Breakfast Sprinkle

Extras:
Peanut butter
Honey
Other fruit

Have a look at my other, more exciting appetizing pancakes here.

Overnight Oats



The crack of dawn breakfast. Perfect if you have a lecture at 8am and you need to run out of your house at 6.30am to avoid all the traffic and park your car in a decent parking space. This is what most university students here do. With a portable breakfast like this, you can never go wrong. All you need to do is prepare it the night before, and leave it in the fridge until the next morning.

3 tablespoons oat bran
200ml milk (I use almond)
3 tablespoons low fat yogurt 
Fruit of your choice (I chopped peach)
Cinnamon (optional)




Mix everything in a shake container and refrigerate. Pick it up the next morning and rush out of the house. Simple.

Breakfast sorted. Never again are you going to leave the house on an empty stomach. Unless you are exceptionally sluggish that is.

What's your favourite breakfast? Do you have any other quick and effortless ideas?

8 comments:

  1. I love these type of Breakfast Idea posts! I am also an avid banana pancake maker, courtesy of Blogilates haha! Lovely post.

    http://talisbury.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That woman is insanely good hah! Thanks :)

      x

      Delete
  2. Overnight oats! I love those! My favorite is greek yogurt with honey and berries. It tastes just like a dessert for breakfast :)

    -Alyssa
    ethlovesjelly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes use greek yogurt as well, depends on what's in the fridge! Blueberries are the best :) they taste so good with everything. I need to make blueberry pancakes!

      x

      Delete
  3. Definitely gonna try some of those :)
    http://hellomynamesanna.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead! They're delicious, and you can change it up to avoid breakfast turning boring! :)

      x

      Delete
  4. Definitely gonna try some of those :)
    http://hellomynamesanna.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas! Thanks for sharing <3
    I was wondering if we could follow each other. It would be great, just let me know :)

    http://retrostreetstation.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete