Friday 18 October 2013

9 Ways of Coping with Stress

Where do I even begin? I've decided to do this post around 15 minutes ago, after realising how stressed I've been these past two weeks. If things were worth stressing over, I do not know. Probably not, though. I have the tendency to make a mountain out of a molehill, and it seems that I will never learn otherwise.

Anyway, since this post is about ways of coping with stress and not me rambling, let's get down to it.

1. Take deep breaths 
When you are on the verge of breaking down, stop, take a deep breath and relax. Although it may sound silly, it's like a slap in the face - it gets you thinking about stuff in a rational state.

2. Cherish your loved ones
These are the people we tend to take it out on. Afterwards, I'm plunged by a guilty sensation worse than how rubbish I was initially feeling.

3. Find a hobby
If you're anticipating one of those moments, stop what you're doing and go do something which you actually like. It could either be watching YouTube videos, television, reading books or blogs, going for a walk... anything as long as it takes your mind of things. Some hobbies are less accessible than others, so I suggest finding something that you could do anytime at the comfort of your own home.

4. Make lists
Being an organised and undiagnosed OCD freak, I enjoy making lists, and ticking off my efforts once accomplished. Having things systematized puts me at ease, rather than having uncounted things to do and not knowing from where to start, let alone finish. 

5. Set deadlines
After making your list, set deadlines for your to-do acts. If things are related to school or work, they will probably already have their own, but I prefer to set virtual limits for myself. This will prevent you from leaving things up to the last minute.

6. Do separate research after lessons
Okay so this is aimed for those still at school - don't just rely on your class notes. They are not enough! I have developed a habit where I find time to gather my notes and start researching and elaborating on what I wrote in class. Doing it subject by subject prevents you from getting overwhelmed with all the extra information, but it makes you feel much richer knowledge-wise.

7. Take long baths
I still need to indulge in this, but I presume it does work. 

8. Take an early night
Avoid staying up late when feeling at the end of your rope. Make a cup of your favourite hot drink, whatever it is, and tuck yourself in bed. I find that hot water with honey and a slice of lemon eases me into my sleep.

9. Learn to say "NO"
There was a time when I embarked on a bountiful of to-do items, then wondering how the hell I'm gonna do everything in time. Now I'm learning to not take on more than I can chew, and if I feel that I don't want to do something, or go somewhere, I just don't. If you feel that that little something is going to send you over the cliff, just don't do it. There's nothing wrong in saying "no" sometimes.

These are most of the things I exercise when I'm under stress, or to avoid stress altogether. 
Are there any other things which you find useful? Let me know! Until then, it's good to remember that 99% of the things that we worry about don't happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment