Wednesday 28 May 2014

Day 5: MFWA 2014 // Bridal Fashion Show

At first I was quite apprehensive about attending this event, but I changed my mind at the last minute and decided to tag along. I was quite surprised and the show surpassed my expectations.

The bridal fashion show consisted of three fashion houses, one local and two foreign. The location fitted the theme perfectly, having been held at La Valette Hall at the Mediterranean Conference Centre.

Wedding Bells
Intricate details and embellishment adorning the charming lace, grand silk and chiffon fabrics dominated this Maltese collection. Each gown had its own unique look, ranging from high lows to tea lengths, while differentiating in silhouettes of balls gown, mermaid, a-line and sheath. Necklines also varied between strapless, v-necks, illusions and one-shoulder.


Pronovias
As soon as I heard that the exhibiting collection Ellie was actually designed by Ellie Saab, I got overly excited. And for good reason too. Since presenting its first collection in 1964, the Spanish design house Pronovias celebrated its 50 year anniversary to date with Ellie. The collection consisted of highly exquisite and polished gowns that carefully tailored for every body type through the extensive choice of silhouettes and necklines.



Loredana Roccasalva
Coming from Milan, Sicilian-born designer Roccasalva displayed quite an unusual collection. The clothes are 100% Sicilian, handcrafted and tailored with the motto of "Raggiungibile contemporaneo", translating into "achieving contemporary" by combining tradition with the present. 

By unusual, I was referring to the different colours these gowns are comprised of. I mean sure, my cousin got married in pink, taking us by surprise seven/eight years ago, but I have never seen wedding gowns in grey, black and different shades of purple. Although these are not something I would go for if I were to get married, with the first two fitting in more with my style, I still appreciated the different take on Sicilan culture behind Roccasalva's collection.


Photography by Dennis Calleja

No comments:

Post a Comment