Tuesday 2 July 2013

Avoid the bake with SPFs


As much as most of us crave that golden bronzed tan, we all know the importance of SPF. It protects us against UV radiation - the main culprit for ageing. I bet no one wants leathery skin at any age. Well, that's what you will have if you don't slap on enough suncream! That's right. A tan doesn't sound so appealing now, does it?

Okay, maybe it does. Which is why I am always on the look out for sun creams with non-sloppy formulas. All the ones mentioned here offer a broad spectrum of UVA and UVB protection. Before you start reading, please keep in mind that what works for me may not work the same for you.

La Roche Posay Anthelios W SPF 30 - I was recommended this facial sunblock by my dermatologist as I have extremely sensitive skin. The non-greasy gel formula is water resistant, although I would suggest to re-apply frequently, if possible, to maintain full protection. I always make sure to slather my face with this every morning (after moisturizing!) before wearing any foundation. All of the La Roche Posay products are paraben-free, thus most of their products
re suitable for allergy-prone skin.
La Roche Posay Anthelios XL SPF 50+ stick for sensitive lips - I went in my local pharmacy aiming to buy the Nivea Lip Care stick and ended up leaving with this instead. Not that I'm complaining - it was not that expensive, somewhere around the €5 mark. However, it does tend to make my lips look almost bloodless. Saying that, I may be tempted to re-purchase; its extremely moisturizing, oil-packed formula (containing castor seed oil, cocoa seed butter, shea butter and and soybean oil) is too good to miss out on. A tinted lip balm on top would solve the pallid lip problem.
Roc Soleil Protexion SPF 50+ - Again, this is targeted at those with sensitive skin. Being around €20, I find it to be quite expensive considering I have found another SPF that surpasses it, which happens to be cheaper. I have very fair skin that tends to burn on the first attempt of sunbathing, hence why I was keen to purchase this sunblock. It does its job, but I don't think I will be purchasing this again. I find the formula to be quite firm for my liking, which eventually ends up turning you into a sand magnet.
Hawaiian Tropic Protective Sun Lotion SPF 50+ - First of all, the smell of this is just divine. I have recently gotten into coconut scents, and Hawaiian Tropic products are the coconut heaven. On the bottle it says 'Light and Silky Feel', and it definitely is. It's almost like you're wearing sunblock and moisturizer at the same time, but all in one product. It is packed with Vitamins C and E, which aid in the production of collagen. Although it does say 'very water resistant', I would suggest to re-apply after swimming or perspiring.
Cabana Sun Protective Dry Oil Spray SPF 20 - After going on about the importance of SPF, you wouldn't expect me to mention an oil for tanning. However, this is the highest SPF oil I've came across till now, and it actually does its job. It is extremely dry and absorbs in the skin within seconds, while acting as a tan intensifier. I would suggest using this after you've developed a bit of colour, maybe after your first or second visit to the beach, depending on how quickly your skin tans. Apart from being water resistant, it has moisturizing and anti-ageing properties, along with UVA/AVB protection with Vitamin E. Also, it smells of coconuts, so... yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment